5 of the best mini circular saws reviewed
As an ardent DIY enthusiast, you need tools that are efficient and value for money. One of the must-haves in any hobbyists’ paraphernalia is a saw, not any regular saw but the versatile and compact circular saw. You can you can build even a house with this one quintessential compact circular saw in your kitty. After several hours of research and a few practice sessions, I have concluded that the best mini circular saw that all those who like to dabble in carpentry and other DIY projects is the WORX WX423.
SimpleHandyman Pick – WORX WX423
The winner of the best mini circular saw hands down is WORX WX423
Suitable for single-handed usage
Can be used to cut multiple surfaces like wood, tile, metal, plasterboard, and plastic
The blade can be changed easily
Built-in dust port enables easy dust disposal
Compact and lightweight
Can cut up to 27mm depth
Ergonomic design for better control and grip
Quieter than the regular saw
A handy guide is provided
Can be safely used around eccentric angles and damaged skirtings
No toolbox provided for protection
Not suitable for thick floorboards
The parallel guide is only 8mm above the baseplate making it useless as the plywood or hardboard under it slides
The sawdust funnel clogs easily
Cutting a straight line requires practice
Your search for the best compact circular saw that has an ergonomic design and is easy to use ends here. This WORX WX423 truly works for all your DIY projects involving straight cuts through metal, plasterboard, and wood. The maximum depth that this saw can cut is 27mm. Though a very basic model with a motor of just 400W this saw is immensely popular among the DIY community for its lightweight nature and single-handed use. The by a 2-year warranty is an additional bonus.
Best mini circular saw for small to medium cutting jobs – Dremel DSM20
Well organized toolbox for storage and protection
Blades embedded with abrasives for cutting edges and are not the traditional tooth blades
Option for attaching a perpendicular handle for better support (not provided with the case)
Easy to change the blade
A safety latch provided to prevent accidental turn on
Powerful with 17000RPM
Worm drive gear provides more control and longer life with optimum power
The depth can be adjusted
Dust port aids in maintaining the accuracy of the cuts
Suitable for multiple surfaces
Suitable for tight spaces
The user manual and the DVD are not useful
You will experience an uncomfortable kickback when you start the saw
No flush cutting blade provided
A good combination of power and performance the Dremel DSM20 is a handheld circular saw that is easy to use and versatile in its choice of surfaces. It cuts neatly and precisely through wood, metal, tile, plastic, drywall, and fiberboard. Ideal for plunge or flush cuts one must show some caution as the motor is 710 W and tends to get heated when subject to tough cutting. The winning union of abrasive wheel technology and a clear line of sight result in cuts that are accurate and clean. According to the best mini circular saw reviews, this Dremel DSM20 is a beast for small and tight space projects
The Best cordless mini circular saw for plunge cuts – WORX WX523
Freedom of movement
Ideal for rip cut and plunge cut
Suitable for single-handed use
Left-handed blade design for more accuracy
Laser guide for cutting
Vacuum adapter keeps the cutting area clean of debris
Easy to maneuver
Lightweight and compact in size
Spindle lock facilitates easy changing of the blade
Does not come with its own battery
As a part of the DIY, you might have to make vents and opening for sockets and light switches which is possible only with a specialized saw. The WORX WX 523 is one of the best compact cordless circular saw used popularly for plunge cuts. Designed to cut up to a depth of 27mm, this mini circular saw can cut wood, metal, plasterboard, and plastic powered by a 20V battery which can also be used for your other WORX tools. Ideal for left-handers, this small circular saw cordless comes with 3 blades of 85mm diameter. The laser guide technology and the plunge mechanism ensure that you cut through multiple surfaces easily and accurately making it the best compact cordless circular saw.
The most adjustable mini circular saw is Einhell TC-CS 860/2 Kit Mini Circular Saw
Vacuum adapter to keep cutting area clean of debris
High quality cutting blades with teeth
Adjustable cutting depth
Ergonomic grip for comfort
Galvanized soleplate for easy operation
Overload cut off protects the saw
A toolbag provided for storage and protection
Plunge cuts of high precision are possible to a depth of 23mm.
The overload button trips frequently
According to the best mini circular saw reviews, one of the most easy-to-use and adjustable best compact circular saw UK is the Einhell TC-CS 860. This small mini handheld circular saw is a complete package that will delight the DIY enthusiasts. Its key strengths are its precision, usability, and flexibility in cutting to size various materials of differing thickness. The galvanized soleplate is a gem that allows free sliding of the saw during operation. The three high-quality blades ensure that wood, plastic, and tiles are cut cleanly and effortlessly.
The best rated compact circular saw – Bosch PKS 16 Multi Handheld Mini Circular Saw
Easy to use even for a novice
Has safety guard for protection to the operator from flying debris
The cut is clean and precise
Metal plate for stability
Adjustable cutting depth
Can be used by both left handers and right handers
Vacuum attachment to keep the working area clean of debris
Handle is ergonomic in design and soft on the hands
Manageable power of 400 W
Easy to change the blades due to the spindle lock
Well-designed base plate ensures close sawing
Adjustable cutting depth
A well-known brand so easy to get spares
Does not include a laser guide
The cutting depth is a meager 16mm
There is no light for illumination
Poor quality depth guide flimsy to touch
Not easy to rewind the cable
Every DIY enthusiast must add to their burgeoning bag of tools the Bosch PKS 16 mini handheld circular saw because it is so convenient. It is ideal for the times when you want to quietly build a surprise; it is super quiet, lightweight and really easy to use. Don’t let the size fool you; this saw is all about power. It is precise and clean in its operation. Any beginner can use it without any hindrance. It is suited for cutting all kinds of material including aluminum ceramic and asbestos. The diamond cutting blade is well protected by a transparent safety guard.
How to choose the best mini circular saw?
If after going through umpteen best mini circular saw reviews UK you are confused, then we will clear the confusion on how to select the best compact circular saw UK. You need to pay attention to these features before you purchase the best mini handheld circular saw
1. Blade guard: Ensure that it retracts smoothly and comes back into position when released.
2. Power Cord: Make sure there are no cracks and cuts and also pay heed to the length of the cable.
3. Blade capacity: Larger blades means more power and more depth. Normally the blades used in circular saws vary between 5 ½ to 71/4 inches. Most blades around 5 3/8 inch can comfortably cut through 2 inches of lumber. But remember, the bigger the blade the heavier the saw.
4. Blade teeth: The more the number of teeth the cleaner the cut. But you must always take into consideration the blade capacity when checking the number of the teeth. Fewer teeth are beneficial for lengthwise cutting as they prevent clogging.
5. Base plate: It is important that the base plate be sturdy and strong to provide stability to the saw during operation.
6. Speed and power: Greater speed and more amps mean more power and quicker results with more accuracy. Select a mini circular saw based on the RPM or rotations per minute and the strength of the motor.
7. Depth adjustment: You should be able to adjust the depth to work on various materials and thickness
• Bevel adjustment: For the correct angle required for bevel cuts the bevel should be adjustable preferably to 45 degrees.
• Spindle Lock: It is important that the shaft and the blade be immobilized when you have to change the blade making it essential for the presence of a spindle lock.
• Laser guide: Though not a necessity it is useful in guiding you to cut accurately and in a straight line.
• Ease of use: A handheld model must be lightweight and compact to be used freely and with ease. You should look for a dust blower which will ensure that your line of vision is clear all the time. Pay attention the grip – is it firm.
Should you choose the Sidewinder or the Worm drive?
Usually, mini circular saws come in two designs:
• Sidewinder: This design is more common wherein the motor and the blade are located on the same axis. These saws are lightweight and compact and hence popular.
• Worm Drive: These saws have the motor positioned at right angle to the blade. By using gears, the motor can increase the torque on the blade and produce more power. Ideally, they are suited for heavy-duty use. They are quiet and hence are nowadays used in handy circular saws.
Corded or cordless
Circular saw reviews are incomplete without comparing the corded and cordless versions of mini circular saws. It is paramount that I mention the difference between the two to help you decide the right tool for your specific needs. I use the corded ones which are usually more powerful for tougher jobs like cutting hardwood. My only grouse is that I almost always end up getting tangled in the long cord.
On the other hand, I prefer the cordless version to reach the constrained nooks and corners where the corded one is limited. Yes, the battery life is not encouraging but then beyond two hours of sawing, I don’t think anyone will have the energy to do more. What I also like the cordless version is the lightweight nature and small size.
Summary and conclusion – what to choose?
My pick in the whole lot is the WORK WX423 compact circular saw. It is my favorite because it is affordable and easy to use. What endears this WX423 to me is its ergonomic design, single-handed operation, and lightweight nature. The presence of the spindle lock and built-in dust port are added advantages. And finally, the 44-toothed high-speed steel blade makes this product an ideal choice for most DIY projects.